Monday, July 4, 2011

The Catcher.

     Hello. It's me again. I just finished writing my previous post in like 10 seconds ago. Before I started to write my previous post, I thought it would be really difficult to write anything that makes sense. However, I found myself writing like a type machine as if I would never stop, which was really good for me. As I mentioned in my last post, I said I would be introducing J.D.Salinger and his amazing works. Well....before that, I would like to share something just came up in my mind.
     As I mentioned before, I had lived in Taiwan for 15 years. The public transportations in Taiwan are really good and I think it is as convenient as Japan that you can get to anywhere you want easily. However, there is no such a thing like timetable in Taiwan. We don't have any timetable for buses or trains. I always surprise my friends every time I tell them about this and they always come up with a same question which is, "If there's no such a thing like timetable, how do you get to your destination on time?". The answer is really easy. You just follow your instinct. You guess the time that trains or buses might come. Once you get use to it, it is really a piece of cake.
     However, after I came to Japan, everything changes. I couldn't believe Japan has that accurate timetable which trains and buses really come exactly on time. It is really unbelievable. I still remember the first time I used train in Japan. The timetable said the train would come at 12:44 so I was waiting at the station. First I thought the timetable was just an aim, however I was totally wrong. The train really came at 12:44. And what made me crazier was that the door of the trains really opened at 12:44. It blew my mind. It really did. Since then, I'm really appreciated to JR or any public transportation in Japan, thanks to their wonderful work, I've never been late to any important meeting.
     Back to the topic, I would like to introduce my favorite book of J.D.Salinger. It is "The Catcher In the Rye". This story tells the story of Holden Caufield, a teenage slacker who has perfected the art of underachievement. After Holden got kicked out of school, he decided to go to NYC for a few days. This story is mainly about what he felt, who he met, what he saw and everything he sensed in his short stay in NYC. What I like about this novel is that, Holden is just like me. He sees things in different perspective. Or I should say twisted. He hates hypocrite. He hates people who are phony and that is the same for me. I always hate people who are phony. That really makes me puke. I like things that are "real". This book really changes my perspective toward things. I really recommend everyone to read it though it is hard to understand. I'd like to post a photo of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment